Playing classic RTS like Command & Conquer 3 or Red Alert 3 in fluent 60 FPS with proper gamespeed? Unlimited camera movement including first and third-person mode? It is now possible via SageMetaTool which brings new features into SAGE engine games (the complete list and more info here). It works even with most of the mods such as Generals Evolution.
The tool is still in early development by Meta Idea (Mjstral) and some features not working properly (differs across the games) such as FPS dropping in Tiberium Wars/Kane’s Wrath or some stupid bugs in Red Alert 3. Hopefully, most of these issues will be fixed in the next update.
Nevertheless, it still brings the gameplay to another level. Some people may struggle with installation, especially in the case of playing the games from Origin. Here are some tips on how to run the tool (tested on Wars/Kane’s Wrath/Red Alert 3 and their mods).
- I recommend placing SageMetaTool.exe into the game folder, especially if you playing the Origin game version (the tool works better with Steam).
- If you using C&C: Online, it is necessary to unhook the game.
- In case of some errors, use a recommended game binary pack (download here). A file placement differs across the game, for example in the case of Wars/Kane’s Wrath add it in RetailExe folder (the latest version).
- For playing the mods, make a shortcut of SageMetaTool.exe and add it to a mod folder. Then open the shortcut properties and in Target add -modConfig and a path to the mod skudef file. For example in the case of One Vision mod, it should look like that:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer 3 TW and KW\Command Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath\SageMetaTool.exe” -modConfig “C:\Users\user\Documents\Command and Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath\Mods\One Vision\One Vision_0.95.skudef”
- Then run the shortcut and click on the game (the mod name will not appear).
Notably the fact that the tool supports 9/10 sage games including the mods makes it very special. I hope this short summary helps you a bit to enjoy it. As I mentioned the tool is in early development, therefore, it is not publicly released. To get it, you need to become a patron (supporter tier and higher) here.